Tuesday, May 31, 2011

How is my 13 year old nephew getting around my password protected computer?

I set up my user account to require a password to return from the screensaver and I have changed the password several times and he still is able to gain access to my computer. How is he able to do this?How is my 13 year old nephew getting around my password protected computer?
Probably because he's smarter than you. He's either found out your password every time, he's using the administrator password, or he's made another hidden account to get in with.How is my 13 year old nephew getting around my password protected computer?
He either has his own administrator account or he is using the default one that is on the computer.

I would suggest going to user accounts in the control panel, seeing what accounts are there and changing the password for any you are not using.

For example, XP starts with an administrator account that it defaults to with no password and a 'guest account' which has limited rights.

You should always change the administrator account password and name as soon as possible and change it relatively often.

98's account management was a joke and so soft that it was easily bypassed.
make a startup password in BIOS (press F2 continually when starting up to get into BIOS) and look for a security section. One of the options somewhere is a startup password. and put your computer in hibernation when you leave your computer. It will require a password that has nothing to do with windows to get to the windows logon screen. once both the BIOS startup password and windows password are entered, you will be returned to the screen your computer was on when you put it in hibernation (with all programs still running and ready)



to enter hibernation go to the shutdown menu and press the h key
He is using a administrator password
my be you made him the administer or maybe your both administers
Could be he's getting on it before the screen saver turns on?

No comments:

Post a Comment