Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Linux Problem?

I have Linux installed on my computer. I am new user of Linux.



During installation I enter password for Root Directory then I create a user.



After some days i want to change it background and screensaver but cannot.



System ask me to enter a root pasword that i forget.



How can i remove or change or get this passwors? Is it possible for me?Linux Problem?
You need access to the /etc/passwd or /etc/shadow file (depending on your setup) to change the root password, and most likely you do not have the permissions to change this file with your current account.



The best way I can think of, off the top of my head, is to either boot up a linux cd, and mount the hard drive, then edit the password, or some distributions have a way to boot into root without a password with a special boot parameter.



This boot parameter would have to be put in at the boot loader (I usually use Grub as my boot loader)



It would be easier to assist you if you had told me the distribution you are using, though you can Google ';forgot root password [name of distribution here]'; and most likely you will find your answer, or check the documentation for your distribution, most likely it will be easy to find (forgetting a password is not so uncommon)Linux Problem?
There is no need to reinstall Linux, all Linux distributions have some way to get in and change the root password as long as you have the computer right there with you.

Report Abuse


Root is the key to administration in Linux. If you have forgotten your Root password, I do not know if you can recover your admin rights.
Your best bet is to reinstall
Try entering your own user password. I am root on my system so only need to enter my own password. It's alwasy helpful to list what distribution of linux you are using I.e. fedora, mandriva, ubuntu, suse
  • suits brown skin
  • shared hosting
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment